Tuesday, June 2, 2009

When did being young and educated become a detriment?

I never thought that being in my mid-thirties and having some (no degree) of college education would be considered a detriment, but apparently the Federal Government thinks so.

Last year I applied for Social Security Disability based on complications and debilitation due to 3 spinal surgeries I had in my mid twenties.  I tried hard to function as a normal person but the work only made my physical problems that much more acute and I realized it was only going to get worse in the future.

Today I had a meeting with my lawyer to see if she can help me win my case after several unsuccessful tries on my own.  I couldn't believe my ears when she said that it was going to be hard to convince the government that I needed help as they look at my age and education level as reason why I should be able to work over my disability, despite the fact that my education is based in the arts and not compatable with everyday work environments.  Without a degree I cannot teach or work in a museum even if I could find a job offer of such.

I knew that it would take a while before my case came up, but was a bit disappointed to hear that it could be up to the end of next year before I even see a courtroom.  

Is this the message that the US Government wants to portray to the world?  Stay ignorant and uneducated and we might be willing to help you as a citizen?

2 comments:

  1. keep at it. it will be worth it in the long run. but it sounds to me like you might need a new lawyer. i should be doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the new lawyer, and she's the best in the area.

    i've run into similar before. my friend was told he was too young to have cancer at 21 by the government when he applied for SSDI.

    ReplyDelete